The Independent Consumer and Competition Commission (“ICCC”) hereby announces the new retail fuel prices for this month, which will take effect on Friday, 8th September 2023.
For this month, the Indicative Retail Prices (IRPs) for petrol, diesel, and kerosene will all increase on average, throughout PNG. These retail price increases are mainly attributed to the average increase in international crude oil prices in August 2023. The average increase in crude oil prices was mainly attributed to reduced oil production by OPEC and its allies, and improved global macroeconomic conditions which have contributed to increased oil demand.
The domestic retail fuel prices (IRPs) for this month are inclusive of the Import Parity Prices (IPP) or the imported costs for each petroleum product, domestic sea and road freight rates for the third quarter of 2023, the annual wholesale and retail margins for 2023, and the Goods and Services Tax (GST), including the applicable excise duties, among other parameters.
Port Moresby Retail Prices (toea per liter, tpl)
|Retail Prices as of 8th September, 2023||456.87||453.13||422.65|
|Retail Prices on 8th August, 2023||431.70||408.17||373.88|
|Change (+/-) tpl||+25.17||+44.95||+48.77|
Retail prices in all other designated centers will change according to their quarterly approved domestic freight rates, and their respective annual retail margins for 2023. For all other centers, the maximum retail prices for each regulated petroleum product will change on average as follows:
- Petrol prices will increase by 25.17 toea per litre;
- Diesel prices will increase by 44.95 toea per litre; and
- Kerosene prices will increase by 48.77 toea per liter.
ENFORCEMENT AND COMPLIANCE
As part of the ICCC’s enforcement and compliance with fuel prices, our Investigation Officers will conduct inspections of all service stations to ensure prices of declared petroleum products comply with the allowable maximum prices. The following ICCC officers will conduct compliance inspections in Lae, Mt. Hagen, Kokopo, and Port Moresby. Inspections in other provinces will be supported by our ICCC Agents and the respective Provincial administrations in those provinces. Please note:
- Mr. Christopher Gabesoa, Mr. Ruben Joshua, Mr. Jerry Badu, Mr. Dennis Jerry, and Mr. Bill Boiu will conduct compliance inspections of all service stations in the National Capital District. They can be reached by telephone number, 312 4600;
- Mr. Allen Monyomb and Ms. Pamela Ipambonj will conduct compliance inspections in Lae. They can be reached by telephone number, 472 2859;
- Mr. Roman Rosting and Mrs. Dorcas Baining Julai will conduct compliance inspections in Kokopo, Rabaul, Kerevat, Warangoi, and Toma. They can be reached by telephone number, 982 9711/982 8476; and
- Mr. Kevin Kondo, Mr. Jeffery Khar, Mr. Jerry Maki, and Mr. Johnny Anderson will conduct compliance inspections in Mt. Hagen, Kundiawa, Goroka, and Kainantu. They can be reached on the following mobile numbers, 7369 8251/ 7232 4861.
The prices set by the ICCC are the indicative maximum retail prices, for which retailers may choose to sell below the ICCC-approved maximum price.
Whilst retailers may choose to set fuel prices on their pumps to one decimal place, the ICCC will continue to set the maximum price to 2 decimal places. No fuel pump operator should charge above the Indicative Retail Price for this month’s price regardless of the number of decimal places. This is to ensure compliance with the Prices Regulation Act under which the maximum prices of declared petroleum products are set. Retailers who are displaying prices to 1 decimal place are urged by the ICCC to round the prices down to ensure prices are within the allowable indicative retail prices.
ICCC Inspectors will continue to conduct spot checks after 8th September 2023, to ensure ongoing compliance by retail fuel operators.
Consumers are advised to report any instances of overcharging by retailers through the ICCC’s Consumer Protection Division on telephone number 312 4600, or by contacting our Regional Offices closest to you on the numbers provided above.